Be Square, Be Green Program
In addition to the Patient Care Tower, MedStar Franklin Square's expansion projects included the construction of a new waste management building that opened in August 2008.
The "Be Square, Be Green" program allows MedStar Franklin Square to separate non-infectious and infectious waste streams and implement an on-site recycling program at MedStar Franklin Square.
- Facts about the Be Square, Be Green Program
- Tips for Going Green at Home and Work
- Resources to Help You Go Green
- MedStar Franklin Square Environmental Awards
Five reasons why you should recycle:
The mission of the "Be Square, Be Green" program is to develop a workplace culture that inspires, informs, and supports environmentally responsible behavior in its employees, guests and the wider community, and to contribute to the overall mission of MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center and the MedStar Health.
Core Values of the "Be Square, Be Green" program
- Meet all environmental laws and regulations.
- Conserve natural resources and limit the use of non-renewable resources. Strive to improve water- and energy-efficiency.
- Continue to expand and support recycling and reuse initiatives.
- Minimize waste and ensure that it is disposed its disposal in a safe and environmentally-responsible manner.
- Use environmentally-sensitive cleaning products.
- Consider seeking standards-based environmental certification on new construction (either Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) or Green Guide for Health Care (GGHC).
- Purchase products which meet self-imposed environmental standards.
- Reduce emissions of toxic or dangerous substances into air, water and earth.