Press Releases and Media
Franklin Square Receives A Practice Greenhealth Partner Recognition Award
May 19, 2009 (Baltimore, MD)— Franklin Square Hospital Center is proud to announce that the facility is a 2009 recipient of a Practice Greenhealth Partner Recognition Award. This award is an acknowledgement of the hospital’s commitment to environmental excellence and a commendation for its progress in the areas of waste reduction and pollution prevention.
Last year, Franklin Square began taking formal steps to improve the community’s environmental health. The “Be Square, Be Green” program was established to achieve environmental goals and through this framework, its success has grown by leaps and bounds. Over the summer of 2008, the facility launched new, clean technology to replace its waste incinerator, and as a team, have been reducing waste and increasing recycling efforts throughout the hospital.
This national award would not have of been possible without the diligence, creativity, and flexibility of the Franklin Square staff. Some of the highlights of the “Be Square, Be Green” program are:
- Ongoing waste reduction in-service training to educate staff members on proper disposal of infectious, non-infectious, and recyclable waste
- The deployment of more than 700 new containers to promote waste separation
- Modification of most soiled utility rooms to allow maintained waste separation after collection from initial generation points
- Construction of the Green Building to allow continued separation of all waste types at its final staging area before leaving the facility
- Installation of a solar powered recycle compactor
- Establishment of a benchmark to understand the initial waste stream and make specific, attainable goals for the future
- Monitoring and tracking of waste volumes by type to measure success and ensure that goals are met
Looking ahead, Franklin Square is eager to grow the “Be Square, Be Green” program and expand its efforts to limit pollution and further advance employee, community, and environmental health.